March 17, 2022
Street closures will impact the Downtown and Grant Park area; Residents are reminded to be alert and report suspicious activity by calling 9-1-1
CHICAGO – City of Chicago officials welcome back the Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle on Sunday, March 20 beginning at 8:30 a.m. in Grant Park officially kicking off the running season in Chicago. The race returns as part of the City’s St. Patrick’s Day celebrations and will kick-off with a 1-mile run on Saturday, March 19 in Grant Park. On Sunday, March 20 the larger 8K run begins at 8:30 a.m., followed by the 2-Mile Walk at 9:30 a.m., which will take participants through the heart of downtown. Following the race runners can enjoy live music at the Post-Race Party in Grant Park. For more information about the event, visit shamrockshuffle.com.
Please be advised on the following streets closed to traffic during the weekend:
Friday, March 18 at 10 a.m.
• Balbo Avenue from Columbus Drive to DuSable Lake Shore Drive.
Saturday, March 19 at 6 a.m.
• Columbus Drive from Roosevelt Road to Monroe Street
• Balbo Avenue from Michigan Avenue to Columbus Drive
• Jackson Boulevard from Michigan Avenue to DuSable Laker Shore Drive.
• Ida B. Wells Drive from Congress Plaza to Columbus Drive
Sunday, March 20, between 8 a.m. and 11:15 a.m.* as runners pass through the area:
• Columbus Drive from Roosevelt Road to Grand Avenue
• Grand Avenue from Columbus Drive to State Street
• State Street from Grand Avenue to Wacker Drive
• Wacker Drive from State Street to Washington Blvd.
• Washington Blvd. from Wacker Drive to State Street
• State Street from Washington Blvd. to Jackson Blvd.
• Jackson Blvd. from State Street to Franklin Street
• Franklin Street from Jackson Blvd. to Harrison Street
• Harrison Street from Franklin Street to Michigan Avenue
• Michigan Avenue from Harrison Street to Roosevelt Road
• Roosevelt Road from Michigan Avenue to Columbus Drive
No parking will be allowed along the race course starting at 3 a.m. on Sunday, March 20. Vehicles that are not removed from the street by that time will be ticketed and towed. For inquiries about towed vehicles, call 312.744.4444.
DuSable Lake Shore Drive, Ida B. Wells Drive and N. Michigan Avenue will remain open. There will be limited vehicle access through Grant Park for the duration of the event, from 6 a.m. on Saturday, March 19, to approximately 3 p.m., on Sunday, March 20. For complete details on street closures and the course visit shamrockshuffle.com/streetclosures.
Pole Marker Locations: For public safety, race participants and spectators are reminded to be aware of the numbers attached to the poles throughout the Grant Park area to help them reference their location within the park to friends, family and first responders if there is an emergency. Pole markings are established within the boundaries of Roosevelt Road to Randolph Street, DuSable Lake Shore Drive (LSD) to Michigan Avenue.
Motorists in the area along the race route should be prepared for heavy traffic and reroutes. Street closures will be in effect to ensure public safety. Traffic Control Aides (TCAs) will be on hand at events citywide to direct flow and impacts from heavy traffic. Public transportation is encouraged. For more information on CTA services and reroutes, visit transitchicago.com or call 312-836-7000 from any area code/1-888-YOUR-CTA.
For more information or updates, visit the City of Chicago Office of Emergency Management's website.